Saturday, April 7, 2012

Lamb of God

29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!   John 1:29

Have you ever really thought of the meaning behind the phrase "Lamb of God" that we often use to describe Jesus Christ? Growing up I heard it many times and accepted it as one of the many names and phrases we use to describe our Savior.

Some time ago I decided I really needed to get deep into the Word of God on a daily basis. My Bible has a few different reading plans, so I started with a “Guided Tour of the Bible” which gave me a “big picture” view; later I did some of the themed readings, (Two weeks on the Holy Spirit, Two weeks on God and Nature, etc); and finally, I’ve reached the third plan: “Every Word in the Bible”—something that can be very overwhelming if you sit and look at how long the Bible is, but I find myself more and more really looking forward to the time I spend reading each morning.

What I slowly came to appreciate after reading chapter after chapter in the Old Testament, was how much work it was to stay in God’s favor in Old Testament days. While reading Leviticus, a book that repeats over and over again the rules and methods on how to make those blood sacrifices for our sins, one day it really hit me just how much Jesus really did for us on that Good Friday so many years ago. If you’ve never read those books in the Old Testament, I suggest you do, because I think it will change your understanding of the gift that Christ has given us.

He not only freed us from our sins for eternity, but he also freed us from all those rules, regulations and obligations of the atonement sacrifice that the Jewish people had to carry out time and time again. He freely gave Himself up, the perfect Lamb to atone for our sins and grant us access to God the Father. How amazing is that?? Words cannot describe how wonderful this gift is! Jesus loved us so much that he laid down His sinless, perfect life for us, according to the Father’s plan. We are so blessed to live in the freedom of Christ Jesus! Now let us live for Jesus!

I’m going to end with a video of one of my favorite songs:


God bless and Happy Easter!!!

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

No comments:

Post a Comment